$5 Free Poker Cash

Suggestion by Jamie Salmon - And Response

Games in the Furness district and surrounding areas including The Dalton League, Tour of Furness and Northern Poker Stars.

Moderators: Trainglot, Devilperch, Forum Admin

Suggestion by Jamie Salmon - And Response

New postby VBlue » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:29 pm

mark, to be honest i cant really say how many people will turn up but i will suggest this and a lot of people agreed with me last night..

if you say you run the poker tournaments in a good fashion and you provide a good style of play, then what i strongly recommend is that let our local players get a feel for the type of tournaments you run..

by this i mean run a smaller tournament in dalton say a £30 freezeout but you dont make any profit.. yes i know your in it to make money but it depends wether your willing to do that to get more players to enter your bigger tournaments..

if they think the tournaments is well run and so on they will turn up for the bigger games, trust me mark, a lot of people agreed with me last night..

post this on the forum and see what other people comment :)

cheers
jamie
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VBlue
Straight

Favourite game: NLH

Re: Suggestion by Jamie Salmon - And Response

New postby VBlue » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Jamie, I understand your sentiment and I appreciate your comments and take them with thanks.

I have already put in a huge amount of personal time in responding to player's comments, suggestions, and criticisms.

I am happy to take on-board suggestions, but imagine if I adopted every suggestion I have had given to me so far! We have to use our own experience, knowledge, research, skills, etc to deliver our events and the NPS members' club. Believe me, we have not just thought all this up in a few mins - but in years of honing our events and offering in this County.

I then have to organise and fund the transport of 6 tables from West Cumbria (for storage at the venue to be used throughout 2011) and I have to pick up some chips (Ken is not going to spend £1k on chips for a venue without some evidence that is a worthwhile investment), and a projector and wide-screen (again for storage at the venue throughout 2011) from Carlisle.

I live in Kendal - so that is 2 hours+ to Carlisle and 3 hours+ to Whitehaven-Dalton with fuel costs and van hire for the tables.

I also have to hire dealers (3 new staff from Dalton) and prepare a training video, so I know they are all going to deal in the same manner (all dealers hired for the day have croupier/other tournament dealing/NPS dealing experience). The Youtube video is to save me another full evening and return journey to Dalton.

We have already bought KOPAG Special Edition cards for all our dealers at £25(approx) per set x 6 and polo shirts and dealer money belts are on order too. Cut cards and DBs cost extra.

I am not going to do all that for nothing (which so far i have as I have not earned one penny from NPS for my work in setting this up). Would you or anyone else in Furness? I am committed to putting in what it takes to make this happen (I hope that shows), but ultimately I need players to buy a ticket or we will move on to other business elsewhere - namely in Carlisle and Whitehaven.

Sure, we had reservations and player concerns when we set up in Carlisle too, and we have to compete with the numerous illlegal nil rake games in the City, but nobody offers anything close to NPS up there or on the West Coast.

We have player testimonials on the forum, a Facebook group page so you can ask as many players as you want, and a website blog so you can ask on there too. Your Dad came to a game in Kendal that I ran as did Jez Morrison. We got the structure a little out of kilter due to lower than hoped for numbers, but we amended it towards the FT period in line with all players agreement (we can't be 100% perfect all the time :)

Look at how many events we have run throughout Cumbria and for how long - it's all there to see.

If we drop the buy-in that does not give us a fair indication for a £50 event as some may play for £30 but not £50. The £50 + £7 is our standard structure. I cannot afford to run a nil rake event at this stage.

We do run a non-profit event every year in Carlisle, but this was put on after 12 months of support from the players there.

When the players show that they are going to follow our events and we start to recoup some costs, you will find out exactly what we are prepared to do in return for you. Ask Carlisle and Whitehaven players who have benefited from the efforts of NPS.

I honestly feel like there is little more I can give and I'm not sure that there is anybody else going to this amount of financial commitment and personal time and effort to bring an offering lie ours to you all.

You finish by saying trust me. I guess I'm asking for a little bit of the same. I am who I say I am. I will stand in front of anyone and answer questions about NPS. We will deliver as a private members poker club for Furness - if the players want this.

Thanks again Jamie. I hope that we can strike up some allies and that we can see a sell-out next month.
VBlue
Straight

Favourite game: NLH

Re: Suggestion by Jamie Salmon - And Response

New postby PsychoDave » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:12 am

I am not going to do all that for nothing (which so far i have as I have not earned one penny from NPS for my work in setting this up). Would you or anyone else in Furness?
Yes and they have done a few times.

If you wanted top quality cards with cut card then all you had to do was ask I have more than enough.

we have to compete with the numerous illlegal nil rake games in the City
This interests me a great deal Mark.. How does the service that you deliver make you legal ? Do you have a gaming lisence?

If we drop the buy-in that does not give us a fair indication for a £50 event as some may play for £30 but not £50. The £50 + £7 is our standard structure. I cannot afford to run a nil rake event at this stage.
But you can afford to drop the extra rake added during play which penalizes players still in the tournament.. I really feel for the guys close to the money on that one.. they could and up paying £15 in rake and get nothing back.

When the players show that they are going to follow our events and we start to recoup some costs
Why try and recoup cost so quickly when as your suggesting your going to make these events in our area long term.. Why not get it back a little at a time? When you do recoup costs does this meen that the rake will lower in future events or will it be the same as with Carlisle and Workington?

I honestly feel like there is little more I can give and I'm not sure that there is anybody else going to this amount of financial commitment and personal time and effort to bring an offering lie ours to you all.
Did you not know we were the first in Cumbria to stage these type of events before the gaming commission and council stopped them? Even Cumbria poker came down and played in them and used our format to start up his games.. Just have a chat with Tony Mace about them.

After saying all this I hope it does go ahead and people do give it a try, I wouldnt mind coming down and seeing how NPS operate and get a few interviews and footage.
PsychoDave
Two Pair

Return to Local Poker and Information for Furness Area