$5 Free Poker Cash

KK facing Check/Minraise on Ugly Board

Post your hands, read reviews on which poker book to buy, the latest in online pokertools can be found here

Moderator: Forum Admin

KK facing Check/Minraise on Ugly Board

New postby Reg » Thu May 27, 2010 11:42 am

Villain is 46/24/3.7 over 213 hands. No reads on him, other than he's pretty loose passive pre UTG and gradually gets more aggro the closer to the button he gets, which implies even though he's not great, he at least seems to understand position.

His CR is 5/19 so far. I don't really know what to make of that but I thought I'd post it as someone might be able to explain how I can make use of such a stat.

Anyway, here's the hand. I didn't really know what to do here, I think he maybe check calls decent draws, or raises them a larger amount to make the most of any FE he thinks he has, so I think his range is Qx/99/air but I'm not sure how to weight the air part.

How do we continue from here?

Betfair $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

SB: $41.30
BB: $56.98
UTG: $80.49
Hero (MP): $50.00
CO: $170.77
BTN: $54.73

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is MP with K :spade: K :diamond:
UTG calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.50, 4 folds, UTG calls $2

Flop: ($5.75) Q :heart: Q :diamond: 9 :diamond: (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $3.50, UTG raises to $7, Hero ????
Reg
Two Pair

Re: KK facing Check/Minraise on Ugly Board

New postby BritishPKR » Thu May 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Reg wrote:Anyway, here's the hand. I didn't really know what to do here, I think he maybe check calls decent draws, or raises them a larger amount to make the most of any FE he thinks he has, so I think his range is Qx/99/air but I'm not sure how to weight the air part.

Tough one!!!

If he has 99 is he raising there? flopped boat Im calling that down until river then jamming.
Qx?? He may be scared of the flush and trying to lock it down now.
Air?? I dont see it tbh. Flush draw Qx 99 are more likely.

Would be angry doing it as my personal play would be to shove back at him. BUT IMO the correct play here is sadly to lay it down.
BritishPKR
Big Slick

New postby Reg » Thu May 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Yep, I agree, I don't think there is much air in his range but fish do weird things on these kinds of boards when they figure it's probably unlikely to have hit us hard, so I think he can have some random bluffs but admittedly, not very many.
Reg
Two Pair

New postby Bainn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:04 am

When we hold a big hand like Kings we kind of feel entitled to win the hand but unless your oppo is a total numpty, I agree that a pure bluff is NOT in his range, indeed pocket 9's are there but for some reason after reading the hand it feels more like Q J or K Q.
Bainn
Site Admin

Favourite game: PLO

New postby PaulRobinson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:40 am

Check Raise to me means get out (Incoming grenade!!!!), if you want to find out if its air a simple re-raise maybe sufficient. If he aint tripping then he will call and a possible free card for the river. Certainly I would be happy to laydown at the re-raise unless I have notes on him telling me that he check-reraises as a bluff mechanism. Maybe its because I play Omaha but I find it easy to put down a big pair on a scary board.
PaulRobinson
WSOP Final Table

Favourite game: Omaha High Pot Limit

New postby Reg » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:49 am

The result of this hand is that I played it like a complete cabbage and shipped it in, hoping he had enough Qx/bluff/flush draws in his range to make it ok.

He had 9s full but I binked a king on the river :D

Overplaying overpairs is a leak of mine for sure. Its not crippling me but its certainly costing me more than it should, especially against fish that are never getting out of line and make it easy for me to be able to find the fold that I inevitably don't make.
Reg
Two Pair

New postby t1tpfdc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:25 am

My biggest weakness also.
I would have done as you did ...
... cept I wouldn't have hit on the river :(
t1tpfdc
WSOP Final Table

Return to Poker Help and Advice